The Wayne County Community Foundation in partnership with The Wayne County Housing Department is pleased to announce the creation of the Wayne County Emergency Housing Discretionary Fund. Created to quickly and effectively address emergent housing needs for Wayne County residents, disbursements through the fund can be used to:
- Provide after-hours assistance for a 1-3 night hotel stay to aid an unhoused person or household until business hours resume and more permanent options can be offered
- Supply a bus ticket or taxi ride to go to a shelter or return home from a shelter in another county or state
- Purchase $25-$50 gas cards in emergent situations where transportation is needed to travel to a shelter or return home from a shelter in another county or state
- Provide $50-$100 grocery gift cards for emergency groceries
- Provide a one-time assistance with mortgage or utility arrears for homeowners
- Assist homeowners with the cost of repairs that affect habitability, such as a water heater or oil tank replacement or a roof repair
- Help with moving costs, like hiring a moving company or renting a truck
- Provide partial or full funding for the cost of bedbug extermination in situations where it would lead to the imminent risk of homelessness
- Purchase a dumpster to ease inhabitable hoarding situations
- Address other emergent housing needs on a case-by-case basis
Disbursements from the fund are made through referrals by the Wayne County Housing Department. Eligible recipients are screened to see if their current situation meets selection criteria.
Residents experiencing a housing crisis and that have exhausted all other options can call 570-253-6758 or email Housing@WayneCountyPA.gov to ask for a Housing Caseworker.
Donate to support the Wayne County Emergency Housing Discretionary Fund